Alcohol Sampling

Alcohol Sampling

The ICC Sydney has the sole rights for the sale and distribution of any article of food or drink for consumption on-site however the ICC Sydney understands that sampling is a key part of the exhibition experience.

The sampling of externally supplied alcoholic beverages is permitted at the venue providing exhibitors notify the organisers of their intent to sample.

**EXHIBITORS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SELL THEIR OWN ALCOHOL ONSITE – Exhibitors are only allowed to provide samples for this event. It is permissible for exhibitors to display their products, take orders (to fulfill at a later date) on the stall however no direct sales are allowed.**

All exhibitors sampling alcohol will fall under the jurisdiction of the ICC Sydney (Venue) Liquor Licence, as such exhibitors are not required to source their own liquor license for this event. Exhibtors must follow any directions given to them by the ICC in relation to this area. Exhibitors will be contacted if there are any queries.

** If your stand also has Food or Non-Alcoholic Beverage Sampling, please note you will also be required to adhere to NSW food safety regulations. Please ensure you read the Food & Beverage (Non-Alcoholic) Sampling page and complete the additional necessary steps.

What is Considered Alcoholic Sampling?

Sample Alcoholic Beverage Portions are limited to;
Liquor and Spirits20ml or less
Wine 50ml or less
Beer50ml or less

NOTE: Any exhibitor found sampling portions larger than the venue guidelines above may be charged a fee of $440.00 inc GST per day by the venue.

Sampling is providing any food or beverages to visitors for consumption (a small ‘taste’).

Note: the word selling and sampling in all Local Council food safety information refer to the same – i.e. money does not need to exchange hands for it to be considered sampling.

Please Note:

  • Water must be available on your stand if you are sampling alcohol
  • All items being sampled must be directly related to the exhibitors core business
  • Sale of alcohol onsite is forbidden, however orders can be taken and fulfilled at a later date. Exhibitors are also allowed to display their product
  • Exhibitors who submit forms late risk not being able to sample their products
  • Extra cleaning charges incurred through spillage or the removal of food/wet waste will be the responsibility of the Exhibitor

Please feel free to contact the Event Coordinator if you have any questions or are unsure of sampling.

Steps to Apply for Alcohol Sampling:

1) Login and complete the Sampling – Alcohol Sampling compulsory form (including Temporary Food Permit (TFP) if necessary*) by Friday 30 April 2021

Log in using the details from your welcome email

Visit Website
  • The details you input into the Sampling – Alcohol form will also be used by the organisers to apply for a Food and Beverage Sampling permit from the Venue ICC Sydney for Food on your behalf.
  • The venue will write to you separately to confirm receipt of your intention to sample with a signed copy of the permit form. They may also ask you for your TFP number. Should they have any concerns or questions with your sampling activities, they will contact you directly.
  • The contact details you input into this form may also be used to generate any invoices  issued by the venue or other authorities in the event if you do need to pay a fine amount.
* 1a) If your alcoholic beverage contains ingredients that may pose a health risk; 

Certain alcoholic beverages may require an additional Temporary Food Permit (TFP), subject to their ingredients and production methods. For example, any dairy based alcohols, or if the exhibitor is serving samples with fresh garnishes may require a TFP. If you are unsure whether or not you would need a TFP, please contact: Mary Whelan on 0408 039 964, Food Service Advisor or email  

If you need to apply for a Temporary Food Stall application with the City of Sydney please do so before Friday 23 April 2021. Once you have your Temporary Food Permit (TFP) Number via the City of Sydney, you would then need to input this into the Alcohol Sampling form as well.

2) Upload copies of your NSW RSA Competency Card or NSW RSA Interim Certificate (valid within the last 90 days)

NSW Exhibitor Alcohol Licensing Requirements

Anyone directly involved with the sale, service or supply of alcohol coming onsite must have a NSW RSA Competency Card (current within the last 5 years) or a NSW RSA Interim Certificate (issued within 90 days of the event).

For more information please refer to: 

You will need to upload copies for all your staff in the Sampling – Alcohol Form above and bring a copy onsite with you to the show. Only accredited individuals can serve samples. If these persons are to leave the stand or go on any breaks, only those who hold a NSW RSA competency card are able to serve in their place. If there are no other persons that hold this accreditation, alcohol service MUST cease until they return to the stand.

If you do not have either of these:

  • If you have completed a NSW RSA course (within the last 3 years) but did not obtain a physical competency card – you need to go to and request a digital version on the Service NSW Digital App.
  • If you do not have any staff with the appropriate qualifications, you can also hire venue staff by getting in touch with ICC Sydney Venue exhibitor services. Details listed on the Contacts Page.

Interstate Exhibitor Alcohol Licensing Requirements

Interstate exhibitors must have a valid NSW RSA – either by completing the NSW RSA course or completing a recognized bridging course. Refer to page;

If you do not wish to do a bridging course and wait for your card, you could hire local staff with current NSW RSA’s to serve on your stand.


All exhibitors will need to display an Under 18s not to be served or supplied alcohol sign on their stand.
Any stands not displaying this sign will be in breach of the liquor licence, and will not be permitted to sample their product.

These signs (select 1L option A: sign) are available for purchase here, at a cost of $10 per sign. Only original signs purchased from NSW Government are valid – these signs cannot be reproduced through photocopying or printing.

NOTE: New NSW liquor and gaming signage have now come into effect as of 18 January 2021. Please remove any old signage you have and display new liquor and gaming signage. Refer to the update here:

Incident Management

For all liquor related incidents (underage drinkers, visitors helping themselves to alcohol, aggressive behaviour, intoxication) please ensure all incidents are noted on the Incident Register located on your stand, and RSA Manager is contacted immediately.

Exhibitors must have an RSA Incident register on their stands which must be signed at the end of each day and provided to the ICC Sydney floor managers at the end of each show day.

All individual exhibitors are required to keep an incident register on their stand. You can purchase one for $20 each OR; keep one yourself with the same content as the official one. For more information refer to this page:

All incidents including refusal of service due to no acceptable ID are to be recorded in the Incident Register books.

For further guidance and information